The Hurworth Hunt, situated in North Yorkshire, is one of only 7 pure Old English packs of hounds left in the country. www.HurworthHunt.co.uk
The Hurworth Hunt is steeped in history, being one of the oldest hunts in the country. The early history of the pack is not easy to unravel, but the first official records commence in 1803 when the Wilkinson brothers of Neasham Abbey took over the pack.
There is however, earlier reference to a pack being kept by a Mr Turner of Hurworth in 1775, and in 1790 “Nimrod” refers to the Hurworth’s foxhounds.
In 1927 Colonel Bell of Mount Grace Priory financed the construction of the Hunt kennels at West Rounton, near Northallerton, where the hounds are kennelled to this day.